Filter character encoding independent

Hi,

Our OpenLDAP information is stored in UTF-8 character encoding, like any
other default installation I guess.
Some of the records have special characters in their name, like ë, é, è,
ç, etc.

We want to make a webapplication that can do lookups on these names,
without forcing the user to enter the correct characters.
E.g. if they search for "Francois", it should match all givenNames
"François" in LDAP.
However if people do search for "François" if should also match all
givenNames "François".

I've looked for certain matching rules that could do this, but I haven't
found what I'm looking for so far.

Can anybody help me out?

Kr,

Philip