From: Quanah Gibson-Mount [mailto:quanah@zimbra.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:36 PM
To: Kline, Sara; openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Re: Tightening up ppolicy

--On Tuesday, May 01, 2012 4:20 PM -0700 "Kline, Sara" <SKline@tnsi.com>
wrote:

> We are using ppolicy to manage the password policy on our LDAP server.
> It at least checks the minimum length and the minimum amount of time
> needed before a person can change their password again, but is there a
> way to get it to check for  upper case, lower case, numbers, etc? We
> need to force our users to make complex passwords.

<http://www.openldap.org/software/man.cgi?query=slapo-ppolicy&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenLDAP+2.4-Release&format=html>

       pwdCheckModule

       This attribute names a user-defined loadable module that must
instanti-
       ate  the  check_password()  function.   This function will be called
       further check a new password if pwdCheckQuality is set to  one  (1) or
       two (2), after all of the built-in password compliance checks have been
       passed.  This function will be called according to this function
proto-
       type:
           int check_password (char *pPasswd, char **ppErrStr, Entry *pEntry);
       The pPasswd  parameter  contains  the  clear-text  user  password,
the
       ppErrStr  parameter  contains a double pointer that allows the function
       to return human-readable details about any error  it  encounters.
The
       optional  pEntry parameter, if non-NULL, carries a pointer to the entry
       whose password is being checked.  If ppErrStr is  NULL,  then
funcName
       must  NOT  attempt to use it/them.  A return value of LDAP_SUCCESS from
       the called function indicates that the password is ok, any other value
       indicates  that the password is unacceptable.  If the password is
unac-
       ceptable, the server will return an error to the client,  and ppErrStr
       may  be  used  to  return  a  human-readable textual explanation of
the
       error. The error string must be dynamically allocated  as  it  will be
       free()'d by slapd.

           (  1.3.6.1.4.1.4754.1.99.1
              NAME 'pwdCheckModule'
              EQUALITY caseExactIA5Match
              SYNTAX 1.3.6.1.4.1.1466.115.121.1.26
              SINGLE-VALUE )

       Note:  The user-defined loadable module named by pwdCheckModule must be
       in slapd's standard executable search PATH.

       Note: pwdCheckModule is a non-standard extension to the  LDAP
password
       policy proposal.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.

This e-mail message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s)and may
contain confidential and privileged information of Transaction Network Services.
Any unauthorised review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.