Re: Private OID range(s) ?

Nick Milas wrote:
I was wondering whether there exists - officially or unofficially - a range of
private OIDs which can be used internally (privately) in an organization, and
is not allowed for schema distribution; something like private network IP
address ranges (10.0.0.0/8, etc.)

No.

The existence of such private OIDs would allow organizations to avoid
registering their own OID branch, since the "private" OID range would
guarrantee that these OIDs can be used internally by the organization safely
and would not be included in a new schema distribution; thus, conflicts can be
excluded.

I don't see how this avoids conflicts.

IANA gives away enterprise-IDs for free. There's no reason why not to register one.

Any organization which would be using such a "private OID range",
should not be allowed to make the associated LDAP attributes publicly
available (not even searchable) in its Directory interations.

Maybe you should try to provide a good definition on what is "publicly available" and I will tear it to pieces. ;-}

Did you ever participate in a company merger where both companies are using the private network IP address ranges (10.0.0.0/8)?

Secondarily, the above would also serve as an "example" range of OIDs which
could be used for communication of schema drafts.

You can safely define your own example OID branch for whatever you need it.

I haven't come across something like this until now.

And that's good!

Ciao, Michael.