Re: CentOS 5 OpenLDAP Causes Server to Hang

On Monday, 13 February 2012 23:50:02 Zachary Musselman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am running 2.6.18-274.17.1.el5 with openldap-2.3.43-12.el5_7.10.  Lately
> I've been seeing the following errors in /var/log/messages.  Once this
> error starts it appears to almost freeze the server.  I cannot connect via
> ssh and restarting services take minutes to restart if not restarting at
> all.  My only option is to reboot the server.  All is fine for a few days
> then it happens again.
>
> nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server is unavailable
>
> This disconnects my samba shares and does not allow users to login to
> Windows anymore.
>
> Can anyone help me with this issue?

Quick fix;

echo bind_policy soft >> /etc/ldap.conf

Long fix, look at the following directives added in nss_ldap version 241:

        * new (undocumented) nss_reconnect_tries,
          nss_reconnect_sleeptime, nss_reconnect_maxsleeptime,
          nss_reconnect_maxconntries directives

Much longer fix, upgrade to 6 and us nslcd or sss.

Regards,
Buchan