Re: OpenLDAP 2.4.23 killed by linux oom-killer

--On Monday, January 23, 2012 12:47 PM +0400 Igor Zinovik <zinovik.igor@gmail.com> wrote:

  Hello, openldap-technical@ readers.

I'm running openSUSE 11.4 with openldap 2.4.23 and libdb-4_8
(berkeleydb) in vmware environment.
Last friday my slapd was killed by oom killer.  Seems that it consumed
all available memory.  It is
the first time i see that openldap was killed.

My database is rather small (15953 entries, 22 mb on disk id2entry.bdb
+ dn2id.bdb).

The OOM killers function by killing the *next* process to allocate memory. It does not mean that slapd consumed all available memory.

In any case, as has been noted a substantial number of times on this list:

a) Upgrade to a recent release (say 2.4.29)
b) Use an alternative memory allocated to glibc (for example, tcmalloc from the google perf tools suite, or hoard)

Glibc is extremely inefficient in managing memory for OpenLDAP, which only leads to substantial problems over time.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.