Re: Is putting slapd into read-only mode sufficient for backups?

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 12:00:29PM -0800, Philip Guenther wrote:
> **      Note that the ordering of this is almost completely inflexible.
> **      In particular:
> **              (0) must preceed (5)
> **              (1) must preceed (2) and (3)
> **              (2) and (3) must preceed (4)
> **              (4) must preceed (5)
> **              (5) must preceed (6) and (7)
> **
> **      Minimizing the time between (3) and (6) is highly desirable,
> **      as that minimizes the window in which a checkpoint could
> **      occur that would result in a backup that would require
> **      catastrophic recovery when restored.

Egads.  I badly want to express that as a makefile. 'make -j -f
slapdbackup.mk' so you can get your ordering constraints, and yet
take advantage of whatever parallel tasks you can. :)

Is management of a HDB backend's directory any easier?

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large