Re: Is putting slapd into read-only mode sufficient for backups?

--On Thursday, February 09, 2012 4:35 PM -0500 Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com> wrote:

I do know that using the db_* utilities are only applicable to the
BDB backend. As far as I know, it's the most mature of the backends
to use with 2.3.43.  (If I'm wrong in that, do let me know.)

2.3 is not a supported release series. I would strongly advise upgrading to a supported release. But yes, back-hdb/bdb are the two mature backends for use in the 2.3 series. I would only ever consider a "safe" backup of bdb itself to be when slapd is shut down, and after db_recover has been run. Then you can safely back up the *.bdb and log.* files. Puting slapd in read-only mode is not necessarily sufficient, as you need to force a BDB checkpoint prior to backing up the BDB db.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.