Re: Is putting slapd into read-only mode sufficient for backups?

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 12:55:34PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Tuesday, 7 February 2012 23:53:52 Brian Reichert wrote:
> > I'm curious if the tactics described in this thread are currently
> > sufficient:
> >
> >   http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-software/200608/msg00152.html

[snip]

> > What we're doing currently is:
> >
> > - stopping slapd
>
> Why?

Outmoded behavior; we used to (eons ago) use the ldbm backend, and
when we initially migrated to bdb (also eons ago), we wanted to
make sure there were no incoming transactions when we made our
backup.

> In my environment, write downtime *is* downtime.

It's bad for us too, that's why I'm exploring correct tactics.
Hence, my original question.

> My approach has been to follow the Berkeley DB recommendations for backing up
> the database and archive logs.
>
> While we have never had to actually restore from backup, all testing that I
> did in the past worked reliably.
>
> My implementation is shipped in my openldap packages (with symlinks in cron.*
> enabled for daily backups by default), you can find the scripts here:

Cool; let me review all of this...

> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/openldap/current/SOURCES/ldap-hot-
> db-backup?view=log
> http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/openldap/current/SOURCES/ldap-
> common?view=log

Before I dive deep into your tactics, did you or anyone else have
an answer for my original question?

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large