Re: Adding an object class with required attributes to an existing entry

On 16/12/2011 3:22 ÎÎ, Hallvard Breien Furuseth wrote:

With 'changetype: modify', for every attribute type you need
'add:<attrtype>' in front and a line with just '-' after, to
separate it from next attr.type.  See 1st 'man ldapmodify' example.

Beyond that - it's usually easier to help when you give the error
message and the command line you used, not just "it fails".

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried using ldapmodify and the following ldif file:

   dn: uid=userx,ou=people,dc=example,dc=com
   changetype: modify
   add: ObjectClass
   objectClass: posixAccount
   -
   add: uidNumber
   uidNumber: 1700
   -
   add: homeDirectory
   homeDirectory: /var/members/userx
   -
   add: gidNumber
   gidNumber: 48
   -
   add: loginShell
   loginShell: /bin/false

I found that this works fine using the openldap ldapmodify tool. Unfortunately, however, it doesn't work with any other tool (that's why I didn't succeed before). I tried with phpLDAPadmin 1.1.0.7, JXplorer (3.3 beta) and ApacheDS (2.0.0 beta) and all return an error.

phpLDAPadmin: LDIF Parse Error / Description: The attribute to modify doesnt match the one specified by the add attribute. JXplorer: javax.naming.directory.InvalidAttributeIdentifierException: [LDAP: error code 17 - add: attribute type undefined]
ApacheDS: #!ERROR Record is invalid

Some incompatibility in LDIF syntax perhaps? I'll continue testing to see what should be acceptable LDIF syntax for such tools.

Any feedback/experience will be welcome.

Thanks,
Nick