Re: Unable to login on client nodes.

On 11/29/2011 07:00 AM, Jayavant Patil wrote:

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Raffael Sahli <public@raffaelsahli.com> wrote:
On 11/28/2011 11:38 AM, Jayavant Patil wrote:

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM, Raffael Sahli <public@raffaelsahli.com> wrote:
>>Hi

>>>but $cat /etc/shadow doesn't show any password information for user ldap_6. So, how do I know that userPassword attribute information is getting propagated to client nodes?

>>/etc/shadow is only for local user accounts.

>>su ldap_6 works?
  yes, su ldap_6 works.

>How did you test that? With root acceess?
   From server machine
   [root@server]$ssh root@n20
   [root@n20]$su ldap_6
   it doesn't ask password and switches to ldap_6
   [ldap_6@n20]$
Yes, it doesn't ask with root access, test it with a non root account...Then you should see a password prompt,
and check the authentification syslog! You should see some PAM entries....

>      On client node
>        $getent passwd    shows
>            ldap_6:x:514:514:ldap_6:/home/ldap_6:/bin/bash
>
>           $getent shadow   shows
>           ldap_6:*:13998::99999:7:::
>
>      That means password is not getting propagated. So, how to sync up the password?

Thats correct, you don't have to sync the passwords! The password is only stored in the ldap tree.
I guess with NSS everything is fine, you should check your pam log entries!

>Test it with a normal user, so you have to enter a password for the ldap account

     I have set password for user ldap_6 with ldappasswd command and userPassword attribute shows the hash of it when I do ldapsearch for ldap_6.

    Why the password for ldap_6 is not getting propagated to client nodes? Because of which I am unable to do $ssh ldap_6@<client-node-name> from server node.

>And kill the nscd daemon for ldap tests.

>Pam LDAP libraries installed and configured?
  nss_ldap and pam_ldap installed.

>ldapsearch bind works?
   ldapsearch works on client nodes.

>SSH Debug log?

    OpenSSH_5.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.0a-fips 1 Jun 2010
debug1: Reading configuration data /root/.ssh/config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to n20  port 22.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type 1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_dsa type -1
debug1: Remote protocol version 2.0, remote software version OpenSSH_5.3
debug1: match: OpenSSH_5.3 pat OpenSSH*
debug1: Local version string SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_5.3
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT sent
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEXINIT received
debug1: kex: server->client aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: kex: client->server aes128-ctr hmac-md5 none
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_REQUEST(1024<1024<8192) sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_GROUP
debug1: SSH2_MSG_KEX_DH_GEX_INIT sent
debug1: Host 'n20' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug1: Found key in /root/.ssh/known_hosts:3
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS sent
debug1: expecting SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS
debug1: SSH2_MSG_NEWKEYS received
debug1: SSH2_MSG_SERVICE_REQUEST sent
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: Next authentication method: gssapi-with-mic
debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_0' not found

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information
Credentials cache file '/tmp/krb5cc_0' not found

debug1: Unspecified GSS failure.  Minor code may provide more information

debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/identity
debug1: Offering public key: /root/.ssh/id_rsa
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,gssapi-keyex,gssapi-with-mic,password
debug1: Trying private key: /root/.ssh/id_dsa
debug1: Next authentication method: password
ldap_6@n20's password:

Öhm, We need the server side log entries... And with debug log level
?

--
Raffael Sahli
public@raffaelsahli.com