[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: OpenLDAP syncrepl woes

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:
> Jeffrey Crawford wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 7:40 AM, Jeffrey Crawford<jeffreyc@ucsc.edu>
>>  wrote:
>>> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:09 AM, Howard Chu<hyc@symas.com>  wrote:
>>>> Jeffrey Crawford wrote:
>>>>> I'm trying to stabilize our openldap server farm before going live and
>>>>> am finding that despite the contextCSN matching between providers and
>>>>> replicas, the actual content of the server is getting out of sync.
>>>>> This is most prominent when we are testing our population routine and
>>>>> we need to remove all accounts before starting. right now it's only
>>>>> about 22000 entries (It will get much larger).
>>>>> During the mass delete we got the following sprinkled throughout the
>>>>> logs on all machines:
>>>>> ====
>>>>> Nov 15 15:47:16 idm-prod-ldap-2 slapd[33070]: bdb(dc=domain,dc=name):
>>>>> previous transaction deadlock return not resolved
>>>> Wow. I've never seen this error message before. What version of OpenLDAP
>>>> and
>>>> BerkeleyDB are you using?
>>> FreeBSD 8.2 with openldap 2.4.26, however like I mentioned before,
>>> right now I think we are squeezing ram right now Part of this
>>> deployment was to discover how much ram we needed on the virtual
>>> machine and it was started pretty low.
>> Oh and we are using bdb 4.6 right now (forgot to answer that)
> Running out of memory would cause an obvious error message ("no memory") so
> that's not likely to be the problem here. Might be worth upgrading to at
> least BDB 4.8, but again, never having seen BDB spit out that error before,
> that's just a guess.
> --
>  -- Howard Chu
>  CTO, Symas Corp.           http://www.symas.com
>  Director, Highland Sun     http://highlandsun.com/hyc/
>  Chief Architect, OpenLDAP  http://www.openldap.org/project/

We'll now I'm starting to get worried. I noticed lots of swapping
during the time and just assumed that the queue was just getting
backed up which was causing the deadlocks. I'll have the vm get more
memory and see what behavior we get and report back here in parallel
to whatever you decide to do.