loadbalancer in OopenLDAP environment

Hello,

does anywhere use loadbalancer in his OpenLDAP setup?

I have two locations (data center). In each location I want install a
OpenLDAP server who replicate with the other (MM N-Way)
Then I want install a few (depends on the load) OpenLDAP ro replicas
(replicate from the local OpenLDAP).

- In the location are setup loadbalancers who are asked from the local clients.
- The loadbalancer direct the searches to the local ro replicas and
writes/modifies to the local "rw Master".
- Only if all local ro resources are down or have a long response
time, the loadbalancer redirects the searches to the remote ro
replicas.
- Same way with write access, if local rw master is down, write/modify
access is redirect to the remote rw master.

Is this a possible setup?
What are the experiences with such setups, can you share them? Are there snares?
I saw one example in the admin guide, but it shows 4 loadbalancers.
Thats to much for my budget.

Thanks for help,
Meike