Re: syncrepl + slapd-relay + slapo-rwm some clarification needed

I hate to be answering my own posts, but I've had to abandon slapd-relay in favor of the (more advertised) slapd-ldap push replication method of which I can put the slapo-rwm overlay on top.

There seems to be some part of the syncrepl/syncprov that transmits the actual modification record instead of just telling the consumer to look at what it can actually see. This had the result of the attributes I was trying to map bypassing the rwm overlay rewrite rule and showing up after the initial correct sync.

the slapd-ldap + sycrepl + rwm seems to be working much better.

One problem I am having with the slapd-ldap syncrepl method is that I can't seem to integrate the slapd-ldap on the same instance as the consumer. (Which of course is not documented anyway) Trying to do so was causing any attempt to create or modify the syncrepl push proxy to hang. I also didn't want to place the proxy on the supplier server either so I settled for an additional proxy instance that sits in-between the provider and consumer. So far this has been stable in the functional testing (I haven't load tested yet).

I'm not sure if the syncrepl push proxy should be able to be on the same
machine as the consumer or if that kind of configuration is undefined and not expected to work. If there is consensus of the former I'll create a ticket, but I don't want to waste time either.

Jeffrey