Re: bind using CN instead of UID

Craig White writes:
> Obviously there is something that I don't understand because I would
> expect to be able to bind using CN as well as UID attribute...

You are not binding with either CN or UID, you are binding with the DN
(Distinguished Name) of your entry:

> # ldapsearch -x -D 'uid=cwhite,ou=people,dc=ttinet,dc=local' -W '(uid=cwhite)' uid, cn
> (...)
> # cwhite, people, ttinet.local
> dn: uid=cwhite,ou=people,dc=ttinet,dc=local
> cn: Craig White

Sure, your DN contains the uid since you (or your admin) picked the uid
for naming your entry when it was created.  Unlike your cn.  See

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol#Directory_structure

--
Hallvard