Re: Double passwords in accounts

On 20/9/2011 11:53 ÏÎ, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Sure. For example, when you change an entry's password, you may want a grace period where both passwords are accepted. In particular if you have a service which Binds with its own DN and password, and you don't want it to fail while you are changing the passwords at both ends (in the service and in LDAP). You'll have to remember removing the old password yourself though, I don't think OpenLDAP has anything which can remember it for you. Unless the ppolicy overlay can be used for that.

Thank you for your reply.

So, when there are more than one values in the attribute, openldap starts testing them until one succeeds?

For example, could we store both a clear-text password (to be used e.g.
in DIGEST authentication) AND an encrypted (SSHA or MD5) one for
standard use?
Why?  The encryption buys you no security when the cleartext password
is also available in the same attribute.

It would be a *different* password stored in clear text.

OTOH - userPassword is for Simple Bind, while DIGEST means SASL Bind.
SASL uses its own subsystems.  It can be configured to use passwords
from LDAP but need not be.  See the Adming Guide at www.openldap.org.
I don't know SASL, but I expect it can take the password from some
other attribute than userPassword.

I used as an example (of using multiple passwords, for a number of applications each) the case where we store (different!) passwords in clear text in the userPassword attribute (as explained here: http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/sasl.html).

If feasible, in such a scenario, openldap would be able to handle both basic AND sasl/digest-md5 authentication at the same time (for different needs). Is it possible? Or the authentication identity mappings needed for DIGEST-MD5 (and SASL in general) "break" simple binds?

Nick