Re: Change a user dn

Ok, let me rephrase this, I have read many books, like O'reilly s LDAP system administratoro, or docs like Or http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4511#section-4.9, that explains this exactly

   The Modify DN operation allows a client to change the Relative
   Distinguished Name (RDN) of an entry in the Directory and/or to move
   a subtree of entries to a new location in the Directory.  The Modify
   DN Request is defined as follows:

        ModifyDNRequest ::= [APPLICATION 12] SEQUENCE {
             entry           LDAPDN,
             newrdn          RelativeLDAPDN,
             deleteoldrdn    BOOLEAN,
             newSuperior     [0] LDAPDN OPTIONAL }

   Fields of the Modify DN Request are:

   - entry: the name of the entry to be changed.  This entry may or may
     not have subordinate entries.

   - newrdn: the new RDN of the entry.  The value of the old RDN is
     supplied when moving the entry to a new superior without changing
     its RDN.  Attribute values of the new RDN not matching any
     attribute value of the entry are added to the entry, and an
     appropriate error is returned if this fails.

I read the paragraph above, and it seems pretty straight forward, I believe I understand how it works, but when I try to apply this to what I need I dont know what to do.  I can change the UID, or other fields from the users or groups, but i can change the dn.

For me Openldap has being really hard to understand, it is really technical, usually i am really good at this stuff. I am pretty sure I have huge gaps of knowledge that requires more reading, and a better understanding of the standards.  But that is why I usually ask here when I am stuck.

This is usually the last place I resort when I dont have answers.

Thanks,

Juan Diego