Re: Status of persistent search in OpenLDAP

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> On 9/1/11 9:25 PM, Michael StrÃder wrote:
>> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>> What kind of deficiencies have you found that make the original PSearch spec
>>> unusable ?
>> psearch is completely state-less. If a connector using it does not work it
>> will miss deletes. Also restarting the connector will return *all* entries as
>> results in a first phase. Your connector will not know when this first phase
>> ends until it reaches the first result with ECN control attached.
>
> Thanks. Yeah, but it's much more a lack of features than deficiencies.

Hmm...

> For instance, a client requesting a PSearch may expect to receive everything
> again, in order to load a local storage.
>
> But yes, PSearch could be greatly improved. And the syncrepl mechanism could
> be a good starting point for a better PSearch...

It does not make sense to improve draft-ietf-ldapext-psearch since the server
vendors who already implemented the current (expired) version of the I-D won't
modify their implementations. And any client/connector implementor who wants
to access OpenLDAP should implement syncrepl.

Ciao, Michael.