[Date Prev][Date Next] [Chronological] [Thread] [Top]

Re: Server Hangs

All I can say is that I have a similar issue and logged an ITS (7013) still under investigation.

David Engeset a écrit :
I upgraded and updated four of our OpenLDAP servers that we have back in May to run the latest stable version of OpenLDAP (2.4.23) along with BDB (4.8.30).  Everything was running with no issues until a little over a month later one of the servers slapd processes hung, the only way I could restart the process was to use kill -9, all other kill options failed.  Over the next month and a half the issue reoccurred on the same server and occurred on two of the other servers.  There was nothing in the logs to indicate an issue with running out of file descriptors, dead locks or anything else.  I set out to see if I could recreate the issue and I found if I had around 20000 entries, which our database is roughly around 21000, and ran a script to randomly query, one a time, the entries in the database and then run another script that added 1000 entries, one at a time, then deleted them in reverse order, one at a time, and will continue to do so infinitely.  When I ran the two scripts simultaneously they would hang after 3 to 16 deletes were completed.  I attempted to use the latest version of OpenLDAP (2.4.26) to see if any of the bug fixes in it would help and I still get the same results, I even tried to run it with all of the supported versions of BDB, 4.4, 4.5, 4.6, 4.7, 5.0 and 5.1 with the same results.  I ran it with full logging on and I was not able to find any thing that pointed to the problem.

We have been running OpenLDAP 2.2 and 2.3 for years (many servers without any restarting of slapd for over a year) without any lockups, so I decided to test with OpenLDAP 2.3.43 with BDB 4.2.52 (with patches) and loaded the same exact database and the same exact tests and it runs literally for hours with no issues.  I attempted to upgrade the version of BDB to 4.4 and I started to experience the hanging again, so it appears to be a BDB issue.  I searched for related issues with no success and considering that others are running 2.4 with newer versions of BDB for a couple of years now I find it odd that I am running into this issue on my first use of 2.4.

I tested all of this on CentOS 5.4, 5.6 and Fedora 17 with the same results.  Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on what I can try to do to fix this issue?

Below are some of the configs I am using on my last attempts to resolve the issue:

set_cachesize 0 536870912 1
set_lg_regionmax 10485760
set_lg_max 104857600
set_lg_bsize 2097152
set_lg_dir /var/log/bdb
set_tmp_dir /var/log/bdb
# This one I added recently to see if it might help.
set_lk_detect DB_LOCK_DEFAULT

include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/cosine.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/nis.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/misc.schema
include         /usr/local/etc/openldap/schema/inetorgperson.schema

pidfile         /usr/local/var/run/slapd.pid
argsfile        /usr/local/var/run/slapd.args
conn_max_pending 1000

database        bdb
cachesize       20000
suffix          "dc=example,dc=net"
checkpoint      5120 30
rootdn          "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=net"
rootpw         secrect
directory       /usr/local/var/openldap-data

# Indices to maintain
index default pres,eq
index cn,uid
#index WhidNetCustID,CustID,ID
index sn pres,eq,sub
index   objectClass     eq
index   uidNumber eq
index   gidNumber eq
index   memberUid eq

# database access control definitions
access to attrs=userPassword
        by self write
        by anonymous auth
        by dn="cn=Admin,dc=example,dc=net" write
        by * none
access to *
        by self write
        by dn="cn=Admin,dc=example,dc=net" write
        by * read

I can send out the LDIF I am using and the perl scripts that I run to break it for anyone who is interested.
Thank you,