Excessive logging at stats loglevel: any useful alternative to none?

Dear Folks,

We are running openldap-servers-2.3.43-12.el5_6.7 on CentOS 5 on four
HP blades.  We have only stats loglevel:
grep level /etc/openldap/slapd.conf loglevel stats
...but these servers are rather busy, and the logfiles are massive:
# ls -lSr | tail -n4
-rw------- 1 root root        7160148590 Jul 28 10:48 ldap
-rw------- 1 root root       24102619198 Jul 26 04:02 ldap.3
-rw------- 1 root root       25034865261 Jul 27 04:02 ldap.2
-rw------- 1 root root       25504838803 Jul 28 04:02 ldap.1

and are threatening to fill the disk.  We want *some* logging, but we
don't want too much.  Can anyone suggest a useful log level here?

It would be great to have some control over the verbosity of logging
of each subsystem; for example, we cannot log any information about
syncrepl, as that would totally fill our disks.
--
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24