RE: Locking SAMBA ccounts with LDAP backendâ

--On Monday, July 11, 2011 10:14:03 PM -0400 Michael Starling <mlstarling31@hotmail.com> wrote:

Anyone?

This is for either a pam list or a samba list.

If it was me I would try fooling around with pam_groupdn and
pam_member_attribute in pam_ldap.conf.

Bill

From: mlstarling31@hotmail.com
To: openldap-technical@openldap.org
Subject: Locking SAMBA ccounts with LDAP backendâ
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 08:22:31 -0400

Hello. Is it possible to have SAMBA respect PAM so that when an LDAP
accounts gets locked out the SAMBA account simultaneously gets locked
out as well?
All my windows clients are either 2003 or 2008 servers
and if I understand the blurbs below in the samba man page, the
"encrypted password" directive must be set to yes in order for Windows
machines to authenticate against SAMBA, however if "encrypted passwords"
 is set to yes then SAMBA will ignore the directive "obey pam
restrictions". Is there any way around this?

I'm sure you'll let me know if this question is better suited for the samba lists.

OS: RHEL 5.5 x64
samba3x-3.5.4-0.70.el5_6.1
openldap-2.3.43-12.el5_6.7

 obey pam restrictions (G)

 When Samba 3.0 is configured to enable PAM support (i.e. --with-pam),
this parameter will control whether or not Samba should obey PAMÃÂs
account and
           session management directives. The default
behavior is to use PAM for clear text authentication only and to ignore
any account or session
           management. Note that Samba always ignores PAM for authentication in the case of encrypt passwords = yes. The reason is that PAM modules cannot
           support the challenge/response authentication mechanism needed in the presence of SMB password encryption.

encrypt passwords (G)

 This boolean controls whether encrypted passwords will be negotiated
with the client. Note that Windows NT 4.0 SP3 and above and also Windows
 98
           will by default expect encrypted passwords unless a
registry entry is changed. To use encrypted passwords in Samba see the
chapter "User Database"
           in the Samba HOWTO Collection.

           MS
 Windows clients that expect Microsoft encrypted passwords and that do
not have plain text password support enabled will be able to connect
only
           to a Samba server that has encrypted password support
 enabled and for which the user accounts have a valid encrypted password. Refer to the
           smbpasswd command man page for information regarding the creation of encrypted passwords for user accounts.

 The use of plain text passwords is NOT advised as support for this
feature is no longer maintained in Microsoft Windows products. If you
want to use
           plain text passwords you must set this parameter to no.

 In order for encrypted passwords to work correctly smbd(8) must either
have access to a local smbpasswd(5) file (see the smbpasswd(8) program
for
           information on how to set up and maintain this file),
or set the security = [server|domain|ads] parameter which causes smbd to
 authenticate against
           another server.

-Mike

--

Bill MacAllister
Infrastructure Delivery Group, Stanford University