slapd is pinned at 100% utilization

I have two OpenLDAP 2.4.11 servers, using BDB 4.6.21 (Patches & & applied), hosted on CentOS 5.2, setup for multi-master replication. Works great except that every couple of months either one of the slapd servers will pin the CPU at 100%. Requests continue to be served without any noticeable degradation in response, and no discernable errors in the LDAP logs.
I see the forums frequently mention CPU utilization issues, but most of the time this seems to be related to non-indexed queries, which I don’t believe is the cause in this case.
Restarting slapd resolves the issue, temporarily …
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Bryce Powell