Re: Scaling Syncrepl

--On Thursday, June 09, 2011 11:45 AM -0700 Duncan Idaho <ghola@rebelbase.com> wrote:

In my environment I have a need to synchronize from a single master to
125 globally distributed read-only consumers.

I've attempted this in two ways and run into problems in either direction.

First, I attempted a multi-tier replication strategy where the master
would sync to a regional consumer which would in-turn act as a producer
for around 20 slaves each. It seems that a server should be able to act
as both a producer and a consumer, but in my experience with 2.4.25 this
will cause a repeatable segfault within a days time. (test_filter() is
passed a NULL filter in syncrepl.c)Â I think this would probably be the
best solution if I could resolve the segfault issue.

Have you obtained a core, with a gdb backtrace where debugging symbols are present, and submitted an ITS (http://www.openldap.org/its)? That's the correct way to ensure bugs that crash slapd get fixed.

Sr. Member of Technical Staff
Zimbra, Inc
A Division of VMware, Inc.