cannot restore db

I'm using both openldap-2.4.24 and db-5.1.25 from source.  I was experiencing
corrupted entries from the running database. I tried moving the openldap-data
folder, created a new one, and tried running  slapadd with the -f and -l
flags with my conf file and backup ldif.  I get back an error that tells
me id2entry.bdb can't be opened because it is missing.  Isn't slapadd supposed
to create id2entry.bdb?  The flags I used to configure BDB are --enable-cxx -C,
did I miss something?

Matt