Re: Should Berkeley DB backends be reloaded occasionally?

Ondrej Kuznik wrote:
On 06/01/2011 12:12 AM, Howard Chu wrote:
Mark wrote:
Back in the days of OpenLDAP 2.1 with Berkeley DB 4.1.25.3 we used to have to
'reload' out backend database occasionally as non-indexed reads would get
slower and slower over time. The 'reload' entailed:

   * stop slapd
   * slapcat the contents to an .ldif file
   * remove the database files
   * slapadd the .ldif file to create a new, fresh db instance
   * start slapd

Then our performance problems went away. Re-indexing didn't do the trick.

Is such occasional re-building of the backend database recommended in OpenLDAP
2.4.25 with Berkeley DB 4.8.30?

Try it and see.

Non-indexed reads are always going to be pretty slow, regardless.

Might be that he's hitting this?
http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201011/msg00146.html

Clearly not, since that message is all about indexing, and he's talking about non-indexed reads.

--
  -- Howard Chu