Re: Should Berkeley DB backends be reloaded occasionally?

Thank you both for your quick response. I understand non-indexed reads will always be slower than indexed, but it was a batch process and I didn't want to incur the overhead of another write-impacting index. I've recently come back to OpenLDAP and so wasn't sure whether the new version's backend became 'fragmented' (for lack of a better term) like the old ones (<=2.1.25) seemed to. I hoped they did not, but I wanted to confirm as I haven't been running 2.4.25 w/BDB 4.8.30 long enough or under enough load yet to tell. I'm glad to hear 'defraging' is not required in newer versions.

I will begin testing BDB 5.x as a replacement to our current BDB 4.8.30 backend. Is anyone aware of any technical reasons why one should use 5.1.25 over 4.8.30?