Re: (ITS#6666) Feature Request: Triggers implementation

Nick Milas wrote:
On 8/10/2010 6:16 ÎÎ, Buchan Milne wrote:

On Thursday, 7 October 2010 20:32:49 Nick Milas wrote:
It all started for me when I wanted to watch a serial number value from
an ldap-stored SOArecord (using powerdns with openldap backend) and when
it changes to fire a bash script. I reached the conclusion it was not
easy to be done with higher-level means within openldap and I created a
bash script which scans (using ldapsearch and other linux tools) the
SOArecords regularly (using cron) to find out if any change has happend
and do whatever is required. It would be much more elegant if I could
get a trigger from openldap when the SOArecord changes.
Maybe you need this:

http://memberwebs.com/stef/software/slapi-dnsnotify/

A more generic solution would be nice, but as far as I can tell, this software
satisfies your current need.

Regards,
Buchan

After more than seven months (when I started this thread), and having
tried slapi-dnsnotify in the meantime, please allow me to request if any
progress would by any chance be expected any time soon re. the
preparation of a draft for LDAP Triggers (, stored procedures and
views), and its implementation in OpenLDAP.

The recommended approach now is to use back-sock as an overlay and pass all notifications to an external service. This provides isolation so that whatever actions are triggered by the notification will not interfere with normal slapd processing.

--
  -- Howard Chu