Re: (ITS#6666) Feature Request: Triggers implementation

On 8/10/2010 6:16 ÎÎ, Buchan Milne wrote:

On Thursday, 7 October 2010 20:32:49 Nick Milas wrote:
It all started for me when I wanted to watch a serial number value from
an ldap-stored SOArecord (using powerdns with openldap backend) and when
it changes to fire a bash script. I reached the conclusion it was not
easy to be done with higher-level means within openldap and I created a
bash script which scans (using ldapsearch and other linux tools) the
SOArecords regularly (using cron) to find out if any change has happend
and do whatever is required. It would be much more elegant if I could
get a trigger from openldap when the SOArecord changes.
Maybe you need this:

http://memberwebs.com/stef/software/slapi-dnsnotify/

A more generic solution would be nice, but as far as I can tell, this software
satisfies your current need.

Regards,
Buchan

After more than seven months (when I started this thread), and having tried slapi-dnsnotify in the meantime, please allow me to request if any progress would by any chance be expected any time soon re. the preparation of a draft for LDAP Triggers (, stored procedures and views), and its implementation in OpenLDAP.

It is interesting that, although the reaction since the 1st International Conference on LDAP in Cologne (Sep. 2007) and even earlier towards the idea of adding triggers, views, and stored procedures to LDAP (starting perhaps from X.500) along with the proper tooling was very positive, no serious progress seems to have been made to standardize these important constructs in the LDAP framework at least as an initial draft which would serve as a feasible starting point. Maybe we can hope to something more mature to have been prepared for LDAPCon 2011? Is there any active work inside the OpenLDAP project and across the LDAP industry to that end?

By the way, the problem with slapi-dnsnotify is that, although it works as documented with OpenLDAP (which is great), it doesn't offer a degree of flexibility: it sends notify to all NS of the zone (even to itself!); but, what if we want to send notify to other servers too (e.g. hidden slaves) and we do not want to send notify messages to some of the NS of the zone (because replication is done at the backend level)?

Thanks,
Nick