Re: Installation openLDAP in Debian

Simone Piccardi writes:
> On 28/04/2011 12:00, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> Olivier Guillard writes:
>>> How to survive in operational environnement without comments
>>> in files ( nor a way to track change logs btw ) ?
>>
>> I suppose you could put slapd.d/ under version control.  After making
>> a change or a set of changes, commit your modified slapd.d/ with your
>> comments in the commit message.  Or put comments in other files under
>> slapd.d/.  If these filenames do not resemble DNs, e.g. have filetype
>> .txt and no '=' in them, they won't clash with cn=config's filenames.
>> I haven't tried how cumbersome this is/isn't in practice though.
>
> Apart the fact we were told not to touch slapd.d,

That part is all right, the VCS would simply function as a browseable
backup.  You'd do the changes over the ldap protocol, then commit the
result as-is.  Regarding filenames, I think it'd make sense to document
that back-config/back-ldif will not touch certain filenames, so the user
is officially free to use these for comments etc.  However,

> this will raise
> complexity (adding a VCS, finding a way to relate commens to contens,
> and so on).
>
> So now I need more logic, more programs, when I can do everything with
> just an editor and some text when having a file.

Yes.  I too find slapd.conf significantly superior to cn=config, except
for poorer error checking and having to restart slapd.  It was just a
suggestion if you use cn=config but want comments and change log.

slapd.conf is historyless too though, so I'm not sure what you mean with
tracking change logs if you did not want something like version control.

--
Hallvard