Re: beginner -old slapd.conf

On Monday, 4 April 2011 16:28:07 eric wrote:
> I was familiar configuring openldap with slapd.conf ver 2.3 I recently
> install 2.4 and am having a bear of a time trying to follow any
> instructions from any source... man pages, openldap.org, and
> https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/serverguide/C/samba-ldap.html
>
> This part is nerve racking on the ubuntu site... after I generate part
> 3, part 4 says...
> ##########################
>  4. Edit the generated /tmp/cn\=samba.ldif file, changing the following
> attributes:
>
> dn: cn=samba,cn=schema,cn=config
> cn: samba
> ##########################
>
> but it does not say what I should change the attributes too... just
> gives an example that is (in my opinion poor) for a beginner like my self.

Honestly, why they don't either:
1)Provide extra schema in LDIF format as well
or
2)Provide a script that converts schema correctly for you.

You can find pre-converted schema files here:

http://svn.mandriva.com/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/packages/cooker/openldap-extra-
schemas/current/SOURCES/

> Following instructions and learning seemed so much easier with 2.3

You can still use slapd.conf on 2.4 if you wish. Although Debian/Ubuntu make
it harder than it should actually be ...

Regards,
Buchan