ldapsearch and extended server controls?

I have a case where I'm trying to replicate some other application's
search against Active Directory.

A deconstruction of a packet capture of that app's conversation
shows it's making use of a control that I don't know how to specify
using any combination of ldapsearch(1) or ldap.conf(5).

Specifically, I see this coming over the wire as a control on the

  1.2.840.113556.1.4.417 LDAP_SERVER_SHOW_DELETED_OID

Research shows there lots these sorts of extended control; yay, I
learned something new!

Is there a way of utilizing these sorts of controls via ldeapsearch?

Thanks for any advice you may have...

Brian Reichert				<reichert@numachi.com>
55 Crystal Ave. #286
Derry NH 03038-1725 USA			BSD admin/developer at large