Re: Slapd restarting slowly

Am Tue, 1 Mar 2011 09:37:05 -0500
schrieb Joe Tseng <joe_tseng@hotmail.com>:

> I recently set up a file server using Fedora and I configured it to
> run as a PDC with Samba and OpenLDAP.  It had been running very
> smoothly until just last night when I discovered when I tried to
> restart the slapd service it would just sit there for a few minutes.
> After it did start I looked in /var/log/messages to see if I could
> glean some clues; it seems as part of "service slapd start" the
> system would request information from slapd in order to restart
> slapd.  Seems pretty circular to me...  I did not note any type of
> success message when slapd finally did wake up from suspended
> animation.
> I did not set slapd to generate a log file previously but after I put
> in that parameter in slapd.conf and restarted the service I still
> didn't get any output.  I did get this from /var/log/messages:
> $ sudo tail -f /var/log/messages
> Feb 28 21:00:11 server0 slapd: nss_ldap: reconnecting to LDAP server
> (sleeping 4 seconds)... Feb 28 21:00:15 server0 slapd: nss_ldap:
> failed to bind to LDAP server ldap://hda.at.home: Can't contact LDAP
> server Feb 28 21:00:15 server0 slapd: nss_ldap: failed to bind to
> LDAP server ldap:// Can't contact LDAP server Feb 28

> I hope someone can clue me in...  Thanks.

It seems slapd is down, run slapd in debugging mode
./slapd -h ldap:/// -F /etc/openldap/slapd.d -u <user> -g >group> -d256

If this doesn't give any information set debugging level to something
more informative, according to man slapd.conf(5) parameter loglevel.

Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
GPG Key ID:DA147B05