Re: Poor performance on Solaris

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:25 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> wrote:

I will note that if you are going to use slowaris, I highly advise you set
a memory key rather than using on disk cache for BDB if your DB is any size
over about 4 GB.  Other than that, you'll generally just have to deal with
the fact it will be significantly slower than Linux.

Actually, you should always use a shared memory key on Solaris. Using mmap'd files is just too slow on that OS.

Incidentlly, What is the uniqueness of a shared memory key, is it unique amoung all instances on a single server ?

I have personally only ever needed a shared memory key on one of a group of ldap servers.

But i noticed that the bdb logs are not written to disk when shared memory is configured, is this a good or bad thing ?

If the power is lost, without bdb logs, could this leave bdb in an unrecoverable state ?

Cheers
Brett