Re: Poor performance on Solaris

Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
--On Thursday, February 24, 2011 3:53 PM +0100
Juergen.Sprenger@swisscom.com wrote:

Hi,

we had some performance issues on our ldap servers running Solaris 10
sparc.

I did some tests using slamd http://www.slamd.com/ and got disturbing
results:

ldap-service: OpenLDAP 2.4.23, setup identical on both boxes, threads=64,
identical content.

box1:
hardware: Sun Microsystems  sun4v SPARC Enterprise T5120
memory:32 GB RAM
os: Solaris 10 s10s_u9wos_14a
searches (avg/second): 1521

Slowaris is always tedious with OpenLDAP.  At a previous job, I was able to
replace 9 slowaris boxes with 4 linux boxes, and even then, just one of the
Linux boxes could handle the complete load it took the 9 slowaris boxes to
run.

I will note that if you are going to use slowaris, I highly advise you set
a memory key rather than using on disk cache for BDB if your DB is any size
over about 4 GB.  Other than that, you'll generally just have to deal with
the fact it will be significantly slower than Linux.

Actually, you should always use a shared memory key on Solaris. Using mmap'd files is just too slow on that OS.

Some time ago, I did benchmarks of Linux 2.6 vs Slowaris-x86 on identical
hardware, and it still was noticeably slower, although not as bad as when
using the sparc architecture.

--
  -- Howard Chu