How to make ldappasswd obey password policy restrictions?

Greetings,

Given: OpenLDAP: 2.4.23, password policy module enabled, default
password policy loaded as

dn: cn=default,ou=Policies,dc=example,dc=com
cn: default
objectClass: pwdPolicy
objectClass: person
objectClass: top
pwdAllowUserChange: TRUE
pwdAttribute: userPassword
pwdCheckQuality: 0
pwdExpireWarning: 600
pwdFailureCountInterval: 30
pwdGraceAuthNLimit: 5
pwdInHistory: 5
pwdLockout: TRUE
pwdLockoutDuration: 30
pwdMaxAge: 7776000
pwdMaxFailure: 5
pwdMinAge: 0
pwdMinLength: 5
pwdMustChange: FALSE
pwdSafeModify: FALSE
sn: dummy value

Authentication is set via LDAP (.
The problem: when I try to set password via ldappassword, using command
like this:

ldappasswd -e ppolicy -W -x -D "cn=Manager,dc=example,dc=com" \
 -H ldap://127.0.0.1/ -A -S "uid=testuser,ou=Users,dc=example,dc=com"

it bypasses password policy settings - I can set the same password, can
set the previously used password. It doesn't matter whether I specify
'-e ppolicy' or not.

However, when I try to change password with passwd (authentication is
set via LDAP, /etc/ldap.conf contains 'pam_password exop'):

passwd testuser

the password policy restrictions are in effect. I am not allowed to set
the same password, to set previous or similar password etc.

Is it possible to make ldappaswd observe password policy restrictions?

Thanks.
Sincerely,
Konstantin