Re: ldap auth does not works after openldap upgrade

Leonardo Carneiro wrote:
On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com
<mailto:hyc@symas.com>> wrote:

    Andrew Findlay wrote:

        On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 05:08:43PM -0200, Leonardo Carneiro wrote:

            fileserver:/etc/ldap# /usr/sbin/slapd -h ldapi:/// ldap:/// -g
            openldap -u
            openldap -F /etc/ldap/slapd.d -d 128

        Aha! Your server is using LDAP-based config so it is ignoring the config
        file entirely.

            Does these changes that we are making into slapd.conf really being
            processed? Normally, i see just the "-F /etc/ldap/slapd.d" flag
            and never
            the "-f /etc/ldap/slapd.conf".

        I suspect the config file was converted to a config dir during the
        Debian upgrade process, so the file is now being ignored.

        I also suspect that there may not be a valid password set on the
        cn=config suffix, so you will not be able to manage the server through
        LDAP either.

    Since it's starting on ldapi:/// he should just do a SASL EXTERNAL bind on
    ldapi:// using Unix root. Pretty sure Debian packages it with the
    appropriate authz-regexp already configured.

Tks for the tips guys. I'll try all this stuff at launch time here in Brazil
(about 2 hours from now). There are to many users using Samba right now, and
every time I have to restart the OpenLDAP something on samba crashes.

The entire point of using cn=config for configuration is that config changes don't require slapd restarts.

As far as i'm concerned, i didn't have the need to use SASL, and it seems that
all this SASL mechanism was auto-introduced in my setup after the upgrade. Is
it safe to edit /etc/defaults/slapd and remove the "ldapi:///" parameter in
SLAPD_SERVICES line or i can break something very hard doing this?

Removing that would be dumb. It's there to give you an easy means to administer the server.

--
  -- Howard Chu