Re: Which backend should I use?

On Feb 3, 2011, at 1:11 AM, Clément OUDOT <clem.oudot@gmail.com> wrote:

> Le 3 février 2011 09:39, Olivier PAVILLA
> <olivier.pavilla@univ-orleans.fr> a écrit :
>> Hi.
>> I need your advice again :)
>> I have LDAP server with ldbm database on a fedora core 5 which is
>> running for more than 3 years without any update nor upgrade neither. So
>> now I've to migate this old LDAP on a new server with new Linux
>> distribution (Debian Lenny). I'm tune up both /etc/ldap/slapd.conf and
>> /var/lib/ldap/DB_CONFIG. But right now I read on a website
>> (http://linagora.org/contrib/annuaires/documentations/openldap_guide_installation)
>> that backend bdb will disappear. Should I use backend hdb or it doesn't
>> make something different?
>
> Hi Olivier,
>
> we never write that bdb will disappear, but just than it is now better
> to use hdb. Maybe someone on this list can argue ont this

As far as I am aware, you are not a member of the OpenLDAP project team, so I am not sure why you write emails that tend to imply that you are. back-hdb was specifically marked as preferred over back-bdb for OpenLDAP 2.4 and it has been noted numerous times now that back-bdb will be removed at some time in the future on a later release series. So the original poster had a very valid question.  The answer is to use back-hdb.

--Quanah