No remote writes, only reads

ldap_bind: Can't contact LDAP server (-1)

On local server, I can write to LDAP server.
 From any remote server, I can only read from server.

I don't have TLS enabled, that I know of, nothing in slapd.conf at least.
I do see tls_cacertdir /etc/openldap/cacerts in the /etc/ldap.conf.
I don't see anything for errors in the log file when remotes fail.
The 389 port is open, no selinux or iptables or any other firewall in the way.

Been searching google for hours, finding a ton of leads all of them dead ends.

Wondering if someone could help me out and give me some leads on what to look for next.

Thanks.