error while loading shared libraries

Here is a question from a newbie.

I use red hat 5.5.
I didn't want to use the openldap that is bundled with and installed by red
hat, so I downloaded and installed BerkeleyDB-4.8.30 and openldap-2.4.23.

configure, make as a non-root
make install as a root user.

I specified --prefix=/usr/local in both cases.

For openldap, I had to export CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH as

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/include"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/lib"
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="-I/usr/local/lib"

I created a slapd file and put it in /etc/init.d, chmod and chkconfig

In .bashrc file, I put /usr/local/sbin and /usr/local/lib in the path. I
also added this line:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

I was able to run slappasswd and set/create a password for root.

But that was the end of my successes :(

As a root user, when I type "service slapd start", I get this error:

Starting slapd
/usr/local/libexec/slapd: error while loading shared libraries:
libdb-4.8.so cannot open shared object file no such file or dir.

Is it because my BerkeleyDB installation isn't working properly? (I don't
recall any errors while installing BDB though) or something more is amiss?

I can see that the file libdb-4.8.so is in /usr/local/lib

How do I solve this problem?

Thank you all for taking time to read.

Get the new Internet Explorer 8 optimized for Yahoo! JAPAN