[Date Prev][Date Next]
users, groups, etc. for posix authentication?
- To: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: users, groups, etc. for posix authentication?
- From: Christ Schlacta <email@example.com>
- Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:38:27 -0800
- User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-US; rv:22.214.171.124) Gecko/20101207 Thunderbird/3.1.7
is there any reason that a posix usernames, groups, passwords, etc. must
be stored in distinct locations in a directory ? I realize this mostly
applies to the padl pam/nis and the libnsspam-ldapd module specific.
can they be stored in other structures effectively and usefully? can
they be stored on a department by department basis, or in any other
organizational scheme? (ou=arbitrary1,dc=... having groups and users,
while ou=arb2,ou=arb3,dc=... also has users and groups?) if a scheme
like the above is used, will all users and groups be available on a
system? must they be free of naming conflicts, or will
group=users,ou=arbitrary1,... be different from
group=users,ou=arb2,ou=arb3,... ? if they're different, how would this
be indicated by the systems?