OpenLDAP and third party authentication integration

Dear LDAP tech gurus,

Newbie here..

I need some pointers on how to integrate a third party web-based auth
system and OpenLDAP. Our reqs are as follows

1. We dont store passwords (or hashes) in LDAP and they are dont-care for us; for backward compatibility we may still have some admin/admin-password credentials on LDAP). In other words, reg-users are not authenticated against LDAP, but we use LDAP for directories and corp-info repository purposes.

2. Third party app will authenticate and may access user info in LDAP depending on the applications

3. Users will be created, deleted and modified on LDAP directories, but again passwords are dont-cares

What is the best way to achieve this? Any lit/pointers highly appreciated.

Many thanks in anticipation
-JM