Re: Including schema in directory based config?

No, you are never supposed to muck with any of the files inside slapd.d. You slapadd the LDIF files, same way you would load any other LDIF file into slapd.

Hi Howard,

I'm still having problems understanding the basis for this design.

Can you please elaborate on why the files in slapd.d are not considered editable? What is stopping OpenLDAP supporting processing user-edited files in this location?

Assuming users aren't editing the configuration "database", what is the point of making it a dot-d style directory as opposed to a seperate backend database?

This seems at-odds with the concept of a dot-d style configuration directory: a reasonable person having experience with other software packages would assume that the contents of the slapd.d directories are editable and read into memory when slapd is started.

I'm all for the benefits that are introduced by making the configuration reflectable and allowing for runtime configuration - don't get me wrong.

But I think there is room for valuable other benefits to be realised also, and I'm trying to figure out whether or not there is opportunity for my organisation to contribute resources to help realise this.

Thank you and I look forward to your reply :)

Will Dowling

T: +61 (08) 6364 4880
F: +61 (08) 6364 4881
E: will@autodeist.com