OpenLDAP session authentication

Hi,

I have looked around for the answer to this question and the solution
wasn't obvious to me...

I have an OpenLDAP installation that I use as an addressbook.  I do not
use OpenLDAP for authentication on my network.  I am using it on an
internal network with anonymous read-only access.

I would like to require user-level authentication and I would like to
authenticate access to the LDAP database using system users in
/etc/passwd.  Is this possible?

For authorization, I would like a few users to have read/write access
and others to be read-only.  I would like to disallow anonymous access
to the database.

I have SSL/TLS set up now and that works; I would like to be able to
turn off all non-SSL access to the database once the
authentication/authorization is set up.

Regards,

Erik