Re: invalid syntax on pwdPolicy object add

 On 9/16/10 12:12 PM, Buchan Milne wrote:
On Monday, 13 September 2010 09:30:14 Julien Vehent wrote:
I have created the OU 'policies' just fine, but when I try to add a
pwdPolicy object, i get the following error:

(the<<EOF isn't necessary, if you don't specify an input file, ldapadd etc.
will use stdin by default, just use CTRL-D to terminate the input in place of
the EOF)

----
# ldapadd -x -D cn=admin,dc=example,dc=net -W<<  EOF
dn: cn=defaultpwpolicy,ou=policies,dc=example,dc=net
objectClass: pwdPolicy
objectClass: top
pwdAttribute: userPassword
pwdAllowUserChange: TRUE
pwdInHistory: 2
pwdMaxFailure: 10
pwdLockout: TRUE
pwdLockoutDuration: 1800
pwdMinLength: 6
EOF
Enter LDAP Password:
adding new entry "cn=defaultpwpolicy,ou=policies,dc=example,dc=net"
ldap_add: Invalid syntax (21)
         additional info: objectClass: value #0 invalid per syntax
----
Are you sure that you don't have any invalid characters on the:
objectClass: pwdPolicy
line ? For example, trailing white space is often a cause of this problem. You
may want to use an ldif file, and attach it to any reply (as trailing space is
easily missed if copying/pasting text into the stdin of ldapadd and/or email
client)

(your ldif above does still need a suitable structural objectclass, but it is
not the cause of the error message above).

FYI, Kiran Ayyagari was able to reproduce the same issue using Apache Directory Studio, ie the problem is not in the LDIF file...

Cordialement,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com