Re: FLOSS support [was: Authenticate to ldap using Kerberos]

On 10/09/10 09:07 +0200, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
Howard Chu <hyc@symas.com> writes:

masarati@aero.polimi.it wrote:

[...]
Quanah, I know that in the past you, Howard and others have contributed
pieces of software to other LDAP-enabled software to enable SASL auth.

I had myself some bad experience in contributing things to software
maintainers that did not even understand the need or the importance of
what I was trying to contribute, but that's another story.

Maybe we could try, as the OpenLDAP project rather than as individuals, to
promote and support better LDAP (not just OpenLDAP) integration in other
generally useful FLOSS that can interact with OpenLDAP.

I'm ok with spending time on this, but I don't use evolution and have
no direct need to get it working. How do we decide which "generally
useful FLOSS" should get our attention?

I have a large list :-) just a few examples:

- postfix, enable compare
- (X)Emacs, ldapv3
- php-ldap, controls, strong binds
- Net::LDAPapi, documentation

FreeRADIUS is a big one for me. No SASL support in its LDAP module.

An Apache authentication module would be nice too. I hacked something
together and submitted a SASL enabled LDAP module a couple of years back
to an Apache list, but didn't get any responses.

--
Dan White