Re: Authenticate to ldap using Kerberos

On 09/09/10 20:05 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
Wouter van Marle <wouter@squirrel-systems.com> writes:
At this moment, I can connect to my ldap server from Evolution,
authenticated. I have to enter a username and a password in my evo
settings, which one way or another is communicated to openldap, which
then checks this un/pw combo and considers it valid to give the
information.

If you are using Kerberos, you should never have to enter your username
and password into anything that isn't kinit or your initial authentication
to your system.  If you do, that something is broken and is not using
Kerberos properly.  Period.

So if the poster had stated that he wanted to perform PAM authentication
for his simple binds, I don't think he'd be confronted with such a violent
reaction. However, from the standpoint of slapd, that's exactly what he's
wanting to do.

Performing simple binds have precisely the same negative security footprint
regardless of where his passwords may be stored. I'm assuming Evolution
supports ldaps or STARTTLS, which would go a long way in mitigating that
risk. If it didn't support TLS, I'd think that'd be a much more urgent
focus (GSSAPI only provides 56 bits of encryption).

Now basically the problem is that ldap is using the wrong authentication
type. Wrong as in not the one that I want it to use. It is using it's
own, internal authentication - this I want to change to an external
system. It seems I need something like you guys call 'pass-through
authentication'. And what I learnt over the last year or so when I
looked more into this and related matter, Linux provides sasl and pam as
general authentication libs, designed exactly for this purpose. Sasl and
pam even can talk to each other.

At this point, I'd agree with the above.

No.  This is not correct.

SASL is what you do when you implement Kerberos properly.  Evolution is
not doing this.  It's either implementing a broken version of SASL where
it only implements a single mechanism (PLAIN), or it's actually not doing
SASL at all (most likely).  The problem is exactly that Evolution is not
properly implementing Kerberos SASL mechanisms.

Would you agree that any application which does not support the full range
of SASL mechanisms is broken? What about simple binds? Would you suggest
that OpenLDAP remove all support for simple binds? If not, why not?

PAM is indeed a way to verify passwords, but it has nothing to do with
SASL except in the very limited special case that there is one SASL
mechanism that communicates a password to the server, and once the
password is on the server, you might want to use PAM to check it.  PAM is
not a network protocol; PAM is a way of plugging together password
verification systems on a local system and was really designed for either
console login or remote authentication that requires a password (such as
ssh without any Kerberos support).  If you have Kerbeors and yet you're
resorting to using it with network services like LDAP, that means your
client software (in this case Evolution) is crappy and broken.

Most protocols have support for legacy (pre-SASL) authentication. IMAP has
login, POP has user/pass, LDAP has simple binds. (SMTP being one exception
to this).

In an ideal world we could just do away with all software that only
has support for legacy authentication, but that'd break a good chunk of the
ISP services I help to maintain. I'm not really a big fan of that.

Sadly, lots of client software is crappy and broken, so this is not an
uncommon thing to have to do, but that doesn't make Evolution any less
broken.

--
Dan White