Problem with persistent search in OpenLDAP 2.4.23

I'm trying to write a perl script using PersistentSearch from Net::LDAP::Control::PersistentSearch against a freshly compiled OpenLDAP 2.4.23 server. I've configured/compiled the server with --enable-syncprov=yes and I have N-way multimaster setup and working.

In the directory that I'm querying, I have syncrepl and mirrormode configured for the suffix dc=coas,dc=oregonstate,dc=edu.

But, when I run the perl script using PersistentSearch I'm getting the following in my slapd log file when I search for something in the base ou=People,dc=coas,dc=oregonstate,dc=edu:
slap_global_control: unrecognized control: 2.16.840.1.113730.3.4.3

I'm under the impression that PersistentSearch is enabled by the syncprov overlay so why would I be getting the unknown control message?

Any help would be appreciated, I'm hitting dead ends everywhere I look.
Tom Leach
leach@coas.oregonstate.edu