Unable to start

I finally got everything compiled, and the make test worked like a
charm.  However, when I try to manually start LDAP via the rc.openldap
script, I get:
$ ./test.rc.openldap start
Starting test.rc.openldap service(s) ---------------------------------
Tue-Aug-17-14.23.51-2010 ---------------------------------
STATUS: LDAP start attempt logged to
/opt/app/ivr/openldap/openldap-2.4.11/var/logs/SystemOut.log
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
STATUS: Waiting for ldap to finish the start sequence
ERROR: Unable to successfully start ldap within time limit

Is there some way that I can see what is going on with this?  I don't
know anything about LDAP, but my client requires it for one of their
apps, so I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,
Geordon