openLDAP and SSL client/server certs

Hi everyone.  I am trying to develop an ldap client that uses SSL.

I read in the documentation on the openldap website this...

You must also install a copy of the CA certificate on all of your client machines. Configuration is done in /usr/local/etc/openldap/ldap.conf:
  TLS_CACERT /usr/local/etc/openldap/cacert.pem
Does this mean that the function ldap_start_tls_s()performs mutual SSL authentication???
If I want to achieve server side authentication, does that mean I will have to use the openSSL libraries to get the server cert prior to using the ldap_start_tls_s() function???