Re: So I finally upgraded from slurpd...

> It turned out that the object cn=admin,dc=foo,dc=no had multiple
> occurances
> of "objectClass: organizationalRole" (!), and this also prevented syncrepl
> from working. I suspect it was a result of "manual" editing of ldif files
> followed by an import using slapadd. I get no warnings from slapadd when I
> import import objects with multiple occurances of the same objectClass.
>
> Perhaps slapadd/slapd should be able to deal with such duplicate entries
> better, to make it more obivous what's wrong? I'm just saying :)

slapd(8) can handle those occurrences.  slapadd(8) is intended to load
LDIF files generated by slapcat(8), thus presumably consistent.  In
general, it deals with the most obvious errors.  I don't think asking
slapadd to perform these checks is a good idea, as it would slow it down
without real benefit: if an error is caught, you would need to restart,
wasting all the actual write effort.  A sanity check tool for unreliable
LDIF would probably be more appropriate.  I guess at this point most users
would pretend their LDIF is always reliable, and avoid running the sanity
checker...

p.