Re: Textual LDIF backup strategies for busy LDAP clusters

--On Wednesday, June 30, 2010 2:43 PM +1000 Nick Urbanik <nick.urbanik@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
1. Can we use an LDIF backend with the auditlog overlay?

Why are you stuck on auditlog?  As I said, don't use it.

Sorry, I was too tired; I mean: "1. Can we use an LDIF backend with
the accesslog overlay?"

Hm, that I don't know, I've never tried it. Nor would I plan on it. I'd just slapcat it if I wanted it in LDIF format.

2. Has anyone written a program to convert the auditlog data to an
   LDIF format that can be applied with ldapmodify?

No idea.  As I said, it's not really a usable piece of software.
Similarly, I meant:
"2. Has anyone written a program to convert the accesslog data to an
     LDIF format that can be applied with ldapmodify?"

Not that I'm aware of. You could, of course, write your own delta-syncrepl client to write out any changes it received in whatever format you wanted to whatever file you wanted. Probably fairly trivial to do with Perl and Net::LDAPapi.

I discussed auditlog with Howard yesterday, and he says it is not so bad as I make out. So if you decide to go that route, let us know how it works out.

As for the reliability, as I said, in my experience, delta-syncrepl
has been reliable.

But has plain syncrepl been unreliable?  If so, in what way?

Read the change logs for the OpenLDAP releases. Except for a minor edge issue fixed in 2.4.22 that took some 3+ years to find, the last time there was a fix for delta-syncrepl was June 8, 2008. Compare that to the fixes for normal syncrepl.

4. Is there any prospect of delta-syncrepl being supported with
   mirror-mode?

Yes, that's a future request.

Would you suggest we avoid using mirror mode so that we can use
delta-syncrepl in order to achieve more reliable replication?

That's a decision I can't make for you. I like the idea of a hot standby master, but one could always promote a replica to a master as well, it just takes a bit longer.

Principal Software Engineer
Zimbra, Inc